As you are reading this, you may have either just gotten your teeth whitened or have scheduled a teeth whitening appointment. Either way, congratulations on achieving those pearly white teeth you always have dreamed of. It is never too late to get the smile you desire.
At this point, you might be wondering how you will maintain their new pearly whiteness. Obviously, flossing and brushing your teeth daily are vital. But so is your diet too. In fact, there are things that you can have, and others you should not consume, after the procedure, to keep that perfect pearl-white smile unblemished.
In this guide, we have compiled some dietary advice to help you maintain them.
What can I consume after teeth whitening?
Some dentists have advised an adoption of a so-called white diet for up to 72 hours after a teeth whitening procedure. During this period, it is important that you avoid certain drinks and food that might stain or irritate your teeth. As the diet implies, basically, you should only consume white or pale food. Sticking to it is said to help maximise the treatment benefits.
- Less acidic fruits and white vegetables: Bananas, peeled pears and apples are examples of fruits you can consume. White or pale vegetables include white onion, cauliflowers, mushrooms, and peeled potatoes.
- White-coloured grain foods: Most dietitians might recommend avoiding white bread for health reasons. However, when it comes to a teeth whitening-friendly diet, it is an ideal food choice. Additionally, you may also eat oats, white beans, white rice, noodles and pasta.
- White fish and meat:Haddock, snapper, grouper, and cod are examples of white fish. Additionally, you can also consume white meat, such as turkey or chicken.
- Dairy and eggs:You can still occasionally enjoy foods such as butter, cream cheese, white cheese and yoghurt in moderate amounts. For eggs, you should try to eat only the whites. However, if it is hard, you can scramble the yolk together to reduce the yolk’s harsh pigment effects.
What should I avoid after teeth whitening?
The consumption of specific drinks and food might result in teeth sensitivity and staining. We are not asking you to avoid them forever. It is better to avoid them during the 72 hours post-treatment period to ensure the maintenance of teeth whiteness.
- Dark-coloured sauces: Dark-coloured sauces can stain your teeth, interfering with your treatment. Avoid condiments, such as soy sauce, ketchup, green pesto and tomato sauce.
- Salad dressings containing lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and mustard:Such dressings can also stain your teeth. Additionally, their acidic nature can also damage your tooth enamel.
- Dark fruits, citrus fruits, and red meat: While those fruits are high in essential vitamins, they can stain or damage your teeth. Fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapefruits, oranges, and lemons are best avoided for the initial period. Additionally, some say you should avoid lamb, pork, and beef while your teeth “recover” from the teeth whitening procedure.
- Chocolate, candies, and spices:Any dark-coloured candies and chocolates can stain your teeth. Additionally, spices such as curry, turmeric and chilli powder can also irritate your teeth. If you need some sort of spice in your diet, you can flavour them with pepper instead.
Drinks you can consume after teeth whitening
- Still, tap, coconut, or sparkling water
- Plain milk
Drinks you should avoid after teeth whitening
- Dark hot drinks, such as coffee and tea
- Carbonated drinks
- Fruit juice
It is advisable to avoid the aforementioned food and drinks for the set period as your teeth will get a little dry after the treatment, absorbing moisture and liquid from your saliva. Drinking and eating certain food or drinks stains your saliva, which eventually will be absorbed by your teeth again. Additionally, if you are a smoker, it is vital to avoid tobacco products. It might also be a good opportunity to cut your habit if you have been considering quitting smoking too!
Nevertheless, if you have been considering getting your teeth whitened, then look no further than BigSmile Dental Clinic. Additionally, we also offer affordable braces treatments, such as Invisalign braces at an affordable cost. Do not hesitate to care for your dental health. Take charge of it with us today! For more information, you may find out at https://www.bigsmile.com.sg/.